Sunday, March 10, 2013

Mary Magdalene


I couldn’t believe it was true.  My friends knew I had been suffering.  They told me of a man who could help me – that He had healed others of evil spirits and sicknesses.  How I wanted it to be true, for seven demons had been tormenting me day and night (Luke 8:2).  But I was just a “nobody.”  Why would a stranger care about my problem?  But I had to see Him with my own eyes … just in case my friends were right.  And so I went to Him.  I thought He might turn away.  I wouldn’t have blamed Him because, with my disheveled hair and twisted face, I was nothing much to look at!  But this Man was undaunted.  He fixed His eyes on me and I felt the most incredible sense of love pouring from Him.  I trembled as He extended his gentle hand in my direction.  When He touched me, I felt His power!  Something had changed!  The tension was gone and I felt my contorted face fall back into smooth lines. I was overcome with emotion and couldn’t speak, as tears splashed onto my lap.  I don’t know what happened, but I felt brand new!  My tormentors were gone, never to return again.  This Jesus had lifted me from my agony and had given me joy unspeakable!  I purposed in my heart to follow Him forever!

 

And that I did!  My friends and I went everywhere with Jesus and His disciples, and we gave lavishly to help support them as they reached out and touched others (Luke 8:3).  That was the least we could do!  After all, we owed a debt that we could not pay for all He had done for us.  A lot of stories have been told about Peter, James, John, and the others, and that is okay.  Even though our work was less visible, it was just as important!  We were content to work behind the scenes, just to serve the One who loved us. 

 

Time and time again, we watched Jesus heal sickness, raise the dead, and forgive sin.  This was no ordinary man!  He accepted everyone, no matter who they were; and one-by-one, people let Him into their hearts and changed their sinful ways.  This was a good man in whom there was no guile.  I wanted the whole world to know Him!

 

How stunned I was, then, when I heard that Jesus had been arrested and beaten!  Who would do such a thing to love personified?  There must have been a mistake, I told myself!  Surely they had confused Him with someone else!  But that was not the case.  This was the man the crowd wanted to crucify on a cross!  We watched in horror as they mockingly draped a scarlet robe over our Master’s shoulders and placed a crown of thorns on His head.  We followed from a distance as they led Him away to crucify Him… and then we watched our Lord suffer a devastating death on a cruel cross.

 

Words can’t express the emotion I felt.  I cringed with the pounding of each nail, and I looked around with dismay at the laughter of the cold, hardened crowd.  I fell to the ground, gasping for breath as my body heaved with grief.  Darkness fell over the whole land – and over my broken heart.  My Lord was unrecognizable when I heard Him cry out to His Father and breathe His last (Mark 15:33-34, 37).  I heard Him say, “It is finished.”  When the centurion saw the resulting earthquake and the things that were happening, he became very frightened and said, “Truly this was the Son of God!”  But it was too late.  My Lord was gone, and my life was over.

 

Or was it?  For as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, my friends and I had gone to look at His grave.  What we saw was unbelievable!  There sat an angel on the stone that had been rolled away!  His appearance was like lightning and his clothing as white as snow!  The guards passed out, and we were ready to run!  Then the angel spoke to us telling us not to be afraid.  He said that he knew we were looking for Jesus.  He told us that Jesus was not there, for He had risen, just as He said He would do.  We noticed that Jesus was not lying where they had placed him, and our hearts leapt with joy!  We ran as quickly as our legs would carry us to tell the disciples that He had risen from the dead.

 

As we were running, we beheld the glory of our Lord!  It was HE who approached us!!!  Overflowing with joy, we took hold of His feet, fell down and worshiped Him.  Then Jesus said to us, “Do not be afraid; go and take word to My brethren to leave for Galilee, and there they will see Me” (Matthew 28:1-10).  When I reached the disciples who were mourning and weeping, and told them He was alive and that I had seen Him, they refused to believe me (Mark 16:9-11) … until they themselves saw Him with their own eyes!  What a glorious day that was! 

 

Jesus had conquered death … and now He lives on … as we give love to one another.   Our Lord had RISEN – proving by His resurrection that He was who He said He was – the very Son of God!  Hallelujah!

No comments: